- On May 22, 2019
Cooperative Development Foundation of Canada (CDF Canada) has received 5 1⁄2 years grant from Global Affair Canada (GAC). The project is entitled “4R Nutrient Stewardship Program (4R-NSP)” CDF Canada will implement the program in partnership with Fertilizer Canada, representative of manufacturers, wholesale and retail distributors of nitrogen, phosphate, potash and Sulphur fertilizers, The International Plant Nutrition Institute (IPNI), a not-for-profit, science-based organization dedicated to the responsible management of plant nutrition and the SEND Ghana, a local implementing partner. The purpose of the project is to improve the socio-economic well-being of 80,000 poor and vulnerable smallholder farmers in Ethiopia, Ghana and Senegal, particularly women through improving agricultural productivity and sustainability. [CLICK TO DOWNLOAD COMPLETE DESCRIPTION]
1.0 Consultant Responsibilities
The consultant is responsible for performing the following activities: The consultant will be required to lead on all the tasks below, in consultation and collaboration with the project team:
- Develop baseline survey action plan and proposed methodologies for submission 4R-NSP Management team
- Review the project proposal and other relevant documents to increase awareness and understanding of the project and gender situation in the project target areas;
- Hold meetings with beneficiary groups (farmer co-operatives, credit unions, micro finance women’s groups) and implementing partners, CDF Canada, FC, IPNI and SEND-Ghana and Ethio-Wetland and Natural Resource Association), government officials (District Assemblies, Department of Co-operatives, etc.) to obtain key information for designing the baseline survey framework and methodology;
- Develop baseline survey framework and questionnaires for the survey in consultation with project team;
- Provide training for enumerators and project staff who will be conducting the survey;
- Lead and Supervise the baseline data collection and focus group discussions in the target communities;
- Apply gender perspectives into all information analysis for the report;
- Prepare the draft baseline report based on the findings;
- Present the findings to the project team for comments;
- Finalize the baseline report based on comments from Project team;
- Summit final report to CDF Canada
2.0 Districts to be Covered
The baseline shall cover all the 8 target districts of the 4R-SNP project areas. The following are the districts; Kpandai, East Gonja and Nanumba North, Nanumba South, Tatale-Sanguli, Chereponi, Zabzugu and Krachi Nchumuru)
3.0 Deliverables Results
- Baseline survey tools including questionnaire/survey, format for focus group discussions, and interviews and seek comment from the relevant stakeholders.
- A baseline report (20-25 pages) with critical analysis of gender, economic empowerment, clime change resilience and other recommendations that enhance the project
implementation and outcome
- Presentation of the findings.
- Filled project baseline indicators in the Performance Measurement Framework table.
3.0 Reporting and Time Frame
The consultant shall report and work very closely with CDF Country Manager during the assignment. The consultant will prepare a written report in English. The first draft report is due to CDF Local office Office no later than 15th of July 2019 and the final report shall be submitted by 30th of July 2019.
4.0 Competencies of the Consultant
- Extensive experience (at least 10 years) in qualitative and quantitative data collection methodologies &/or skills and experience in completing evaluation and baseline studies,
preferably within the food security, climate change adaptation and gender issues.
- Proven track record of research experience in agriculture and Climate resilience and understanding of alternative development, food security and agriculture;
- Good understanding of sensitivity for poverty, social and ethnic issues.
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism and an ability to work independently and in high pressure situations under tight deadlines
- Ability to write and communicate in English;
- Knowledge and understanding of rural northern Ghana context;
5.0 Required Skills and Experience
At least an Advanced Degree in Agriculture science, development studies, rural development and extension, agriculture or other related field of studies.
10 years knowledge and experience on Agriculture/social research, rural rapid assessment and community assessment with both quantitative and qualitative methodologies.
6.0 Compensating and Remuneration
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Travel and related expenses must be pre-approved and will be reimbursed in accordance with SEND Ghana rates and guidelines specified in the contract.
Please send a current CV and cover letter outlining key qualifications, previous experience and technical and financial proposal (how you intend to carry out the survey and daily rate): Please also submit a brief comment on the proposed methodology and timeline outlined in the ToR.
Please apply with a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4:00 p.m. Friday, June 7, 2019. All applicants are thanked for their interest in CDF Canada; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. CDF Canada is an inclusive employer. If selected for an interview, please advise if you require accommodation during the interview process and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.